Thursday, January 15, 2009

Indie 103.1's real revolution

Now that indie 103.1 is confined to the discounted Internet radio bin, will anyone listen? I’m sure that people will hit the site out of curiosity (including me) only to remember that we have better songs on our iTunes. The only real reason why the indie experiment was interesting was because it was on commercial radio. Driving without our ipod radio adapters or with an uncharged ipod wasn’t so unbearable. This was a station that would play X or pixies, or maybe play the new animal collective or Morrissey. (Something that kroq would never do)
So what happened? Did indie 103.1 lose out to Kroq or did corporate radio claim another victim in its path to world domination? (blab blab blad liberal slant) Well, do you remember that indie 103.1 use to be a dance station? Well I bet you didn’t know that the company that owns indie is called Entravision Communications Corporation and that indie is the only English speaking station that they own. They are a Santa Monica based Corporation that mostly caters to Spanish speaking audiences. The corporation had been experiencing financial problems for some time and sometime in December where told that their stock prices have fallen below their minimum trading price. Now they have till sometime in June to increase their stock vales. What probably happened is that marketing decided that they should focus on their core market and thus why indie is R.I.P in the broadcast world.
But to tell you the truth the station had started to become unbearable. I would much rather listen to Kroq and Power 106 while driving than indie. I don’t know what that says about my music taste but whatever I don’t care.

No comments: